Title Help

You’ll need your title in order to sell your vehicle. In some cases there are exemptions so please see the link below for more information. This should provide you some title help as you go about filling out your title.

Title Help

Once you have your title, there are two things you MUST do to transfer it.

  • First, Sign the title. More specifically you’ll sign the title as seller
  • Second, fill in the purchaser or buyer.

Click on your corresponding state below to see an example of a title.

Now, there are a couple of things you should be looking out for in order for your title to be fully executed and transferable:

  • It must be signed by all parties listed as owners.
  • If the words AND/OR are listed this can affect who may or may not have to sign.
  • Also, if there are special circumstances where the owner isn’t able to sign please visit the link below for more information.
  • No liens should be listed.
  • If there is a lien listed then the release from the bank must be signed either on the title or an accompanying document.
  • Your title should be free of any errors.
  • Your title is an official document and must be treated with respect.

What constitutes an error? If you realize that you’ve made a mistake when completing your title, STOP.


Remember, this is an important document which may not be accepted with those types of errors.

A few smaller details to consider….

Sign your title as seller with the name as it’s printed on the front. Meaning if your full name, middle initial, etc. is listed you should sign and print as seller in the same way.

Use blue or black ink only.

Take your time when transferring your title. It’s not a race.

We do realize that mistakes happen, so if you do make an error, do not fear, we are here for all your title help!

For state specific information or to see an example of your title, choose your state below:

Additional Questions

  • What if the vehicle isn’t registered in my name?

    The vehicle does not have to be registered in your name. The name on the title and the name on registration documents often differ. Contact our processing center at 1-877-957-2277 for more information.

  • How do I know my title is a clear, transferable title?

    1. The title must be in your name, with no cross outs or errors.
    2. All liens must be released, if there is a lien listed on your title, it must be signed off on the title, or provide a separate lien release document.
    3. You must sign as the seller per our title instructions
  • My name has changed since the car has been titled. How do I sign?

    You must sign the title as it is shown on the front of the title. If you do not, the title will be void and you may need a correction form or duplicate title.

  • There are 2 people listed on the title, do both of us need to sign?

    Yes. If there are 2 owners listed on the front of a title, the majority of the time, both people will need to sign as seller. If there is an ‘or’ in between the names, only 1 signature is required.

  • The title is in a deceased person’s name. How do I complete the transfer of title?

    Different states require different paperwork. Usually this involves a copy of the death certificate, executor rights paperwork, and the signed title. Please call us to confirm what is needed in your state.