Transfer Title Help
You'll need your title in order to sell your vehicle. In some cases, there are exemptions so please see the link below for more information. This should provide you some title help as you go about filling out your title.
Once you have your title, there are two things you MUST do to transfer it.
First, sign the title. More specifically, you'll sign as the seller.
Second, fill in the purchaser or buyer.
Click on your corresponding state below to see an example of a title.
Now, there are some things you should look out for in order for your title to be fully executed and transferable:
- It must be signed by all parties listed as owners.
- If the words AND/OR are listed this can affect who may or may not have to sign.
- If there are special circumstances where the owner isn’t able to sign, please visit the link below for more information.
- No liens should be listed.
- If there is a lien listed, the release from the bank must be signed either on the title or an accompanying document.
- Your title should be free of any errors.
- Your title is an official document and must be treated with respect.
If you realize that you’ve made a mistake when completing your title, STOP.
For State Specific Information or to See an Example of Your Title
Please Choose Your State Below
Some smaller details to consider...
Sign your title with the name that is printed on the front. Meaning, if your full name, middle initial, etc. is listed, you should sign and print as seller in the same way.
Use blue or black ink only.
Take your time when transferring your title.
We do realize that mistakes happen, so if you do make an error, do not fear, we are here for all your title help!
The vehicle does not have to be registered in your name. The name on the title and the name on registration documents often differ. Contact our processing center at 1-877-957-2277 for more information.
- The title must be in your name, with no cross outs or errors.
- All liens must be released. If there is a lien listed on your title, it must be signed off on the title or provide a separate lien release document.
- You must sign as the seller per our title instructions.
Different states require different paperwork. Usually this involves a copy of the death certificate, executor rights paperwork, and the signed title. Please call us at 1-877-957-2277 to confirm what is needed in your state or see the corresponding state link below for additional transfer title help.
If your car was last registered, titled and being picked up in California instead of obtaining a duplicate title, we have a quicker solution for you. We can accept a Reg 262 and Reg 227 in place of the pink slip. The Reg 262 is a secure form that needs to be obtained at your local DMV or if you call us at 1-877-957-2277 we can mail you one. Together these forms can be used in lieu of a title.
No, if you do this your title will become void. Unless you are a licensed dealer, you must transfer the title into your name. Once a title is issued in your name, we can then proceed with selling your vehicle. Please contact us at 1-877-957-2277 and we will happily advise you on how to obtain the documents necessary to complete your sale.