How to Transfer California Title

How do I transfer title of my vehicle in California (CA)?

  • The state of California DOES require a Certificate of Title in order to transfer ownership of your vehicle. If your vehicle was last titled in the state of CA we can accept a Reg 262 and Reg 227 form in place of the title. These are secure forms that can be obtained at any local DMV office. We ask that your license plates remain on the vehicle at the time of pick-up UNLESS they are personalized. For more infomation on how to transfer California title, click on one of the links below.
  • In order to complete the sale of your car in California, you must transfer your title by entering the name of the buyer/purchaser in the buyer/purchaser field. Please PRINT and SIGN your name in the seller/owner field EXACTLY as it appears at the top of the title.

Helpful State Links

California Department of Motor Vehicles Learn more about California California Secretary of State
how to transfer California title 1993
how to transfer California title 1993 back

Example California Reg 262

California Reg 262

Example California Reg 227

California Reg 227